Information on Insurance 'Write Offs' including Cat C write off and Cat D write off

wOrMsKi By wOrMsKi, 18th Dec 2009 | Follow this author | RSS Feed | Short URL
Posted in Wikinut>Money>Travel & Transport

What do people mean when they talk about Cat D or Cat C cars?

Category A

The vehicle may not be resold it must be crushed. Severely damaged, total burnout or flood damage with no serviceable parts, or already a stripped out shell. DVLA will require a "Notification of Destruction".

Category B

The vehicle may not be resold. It will have been damaged beyond economical repair, usually with major structural damage. The DVLA will require "Notification of Destruction" but parts can be removed and sold on.

Category C

Repairable salvage. Usually applies to vehicles with significant damage and where the cost of repairs exceeds the book value. It can be sold for repair but must have VIC(Vehicle Identity Check) inspection before returning to the road. V5 documents are returned to DVLA and recorded as category C vehicles. You can re-apply for registration on the original identity once the VIC inspection has been done. VIC inspection and re-registration removes the Category C classification, but evidence it was at one time Category C remains on the vehicle's record at the DVLA and so will appear on a vehicle data check.

Category D

Repairable salvage. Minimal damage, probably not structural, but insurer does not want to repair, even though it might be economic to do so. Often stolen and recovered after claim has been paid. Or it maybe a vehicle where parts are difficult to obtain so a quick repair is unlikely. Does not need VIC inspection to return to road. Notification will appear in your vehicle history check

Category X

Category X has been the subject of a claim but minor or very lightly damaged and required minimal repair work. It would not be recorded with the DVLA so would not appear in any Vehicle Data Check

Vehicle Identity Check

What is a Vehicle Identity Check and how does it work?(taken from the VOSA's site) The Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) has been introduced to help reduce car crime. It is intended to deter criminals from disguising stolen cars with the identity of written off ones. When an insurance company 'writes off' a car, (Category A, B or C) they notify DVLA and a VIC marker is placed on the DVLA record. DVLA will not issue a Registration Certificate (V5C) or a Vehicle Licence Reminder (V11) to a car with a VIC marker against it. In order to remove the VIC marker the car needs to be inspected by VOSA to confirm its identity. When the car passes the VIC, the marker is removed. The VIC will be carried out by VOSA. It will involve comparing the car against information held by DVLA, such as the vehicle identification number, make, model, colour and engine number. The VIC will also compare the record of previous accident damage with evidence of damage repair as well as checking other components to confirm the age and identity of the car.

Will the VIC confirm that the vehicle is roadworthy? No. The VIC is designed to confirm the identity of the car and does not assess the quality of the repair. You should seek independent expert opinion as to whether the car is roadworthy. If whilst carrying out the check the inspector notices a serious defect which would make the car dangerous to drive, then they will issue a notice which prohibits the car being used. Once it has been made roadworthy the prohibition can be removed.

Note: I understand motorbikes falling into this category do not have to undergo a VIC inspection so will warrant close investigation and clarification of identity.

"not recorded" - Not an official category, it simply means that there has not been an insurance claim, possibly only had third party insurance and damaged the vehicle themselves or don't know who caused the damaged so can not make a claim or may not even been insured, either way the DVLA will not know in these cases so will not be recorded and will not show on any Vehicle History Check


Cat A, Cat C, Cat D, Category A, Category B, Category C, Category D, Insurance, Lemon, Write Off

Meet the author

author avatar wOrMsKi
A man of many hats, a G.D.F. , an aficionado of loony projects.

Share this page

moderator Sam Wormleighton moderated this page.
If you have any complaints about this content, please let us know


author avatar Brian
9th May 2010 (#)

I have bought a cat C car with very minimal damage just requires a steering rack. The MOT is just run out a few days ago will I MOT it before the VIC Thanks

Reply to this comment

author avatar Rod Horder
12th Sep 2011 (#)

My toyota van has been declared a cat c. I am going to keep it as its only cosmetic, what should I do next?? really appreciate some advice.

Reply to this comment

author avatar David laity
9th Oct 2011 (#)

Ive been in the body repair business for 38yrs and cat c vehicles are sometimes no worse than cat d. Its solely up to the loss adjuster on the day, he'll either classify it d or c. Remember there are a lot of cars that have been involved in accidents and could so easily be classified as either cat d or c, and slipped the net. I know this for a fact. If a vehicles been repaired correctly you've nothing to be concerned about, and most insurers will have no problems insuring a vehicle.

Reply to this comment

Add a comment
Can't login?